Community Affairs Publications
The Community Developments Article Archive provides easy access to every community development article published by the OCC. Articles are sorted by category and by state. Visit the article archive.
Financial Literacy Update
Learn about upcoming events, initiatives, and education resources related to financial literacy in this bi-monthly newsletter.
Get the key facts on innovative products and services, investment vehicles, and government programs and initiatives related to community development and consumer banking.
Learn about products, services, and initiatives focused on investments, and services aimed at traditionally-underserved markets segments. Each Insights discusses how selected products or initiatives operate, why they might be of interest to other banks, and associated risks or regulatory considerations.
- Historic Tax Credits: Bringing New Life to Older Communities (PDF) (May 2015)
This updated report describes how the Historic Tax Credit program operates, outlines the risks and regulatory considerations of participation in the program, and discusses how investments in these transactions may be considered under the Community Reinvestment Act.
- Bankers' Guide to the SBA 7(a) Loan Guaranty Program (PDF) (December 2014)
This updated report describes how lenders can use the SBA 7(a) program to meet the needs of a variety of creditworthy small business customers.
- Community Development Loan Funds: Partnership Opportunities for Banks (PDF) (October 2014)
This Insights report describes how partnerships between banks and community development loan funds, when structured and implemented appropriately, can help banks and CDLFs further their business and civic goals.
- Low-Income Housing Tax Credits: Affordable Housing Investment Opportunities for Banks (PDF) (March 2014)
This updated report describes low-income housing tax credits and how they can be used by banks to support the development of affordable rental housing.
- New Markets Tax Credits: Unlocking Investment Potential (PDF) (June 2013)
This updated report describes new markets tax credits (NMTC) and how banks can use NMTCs to support community and economic development activities.
- FHA 203(k) Mortgage Insurance Program: Helping Banks and Borrowers Revitalize Homes and Neighborhoods (PDF) (May 2013)
Describes the Federal Housing Administration's (FHA) 203(k) Rehabilitation Mortgage Insurance, an important financial tool that enables borrowers to purchase and rehabilitate properties.
- Small Business Investment Companies: An Investment Option for Banks (PDF) (September 2012)
Describes the Small Business Investment Company (SBIC), how banks can use SBICs to expand their small-business finance activities, and what risks and regulatory considerations are involved.
- USDA's Business and Industry Guaranteed Loan Program (PDF) (June 2012)
Provides an overview of the USDA's Business and Industry (B&I) Guaranteed Loan Program, which is used to support business lending in rural areas.
- SBA 504 Loan Program: Small Businesses' Window to Wall Street (PDF) (March 2012)
Provides an overview of the SBA's 504 Loan Program, which is used to finance long-term assets, such as owner-occupied commercial real estate and heavy machinery, at competitive rates.
- SBA's and Export-Import Bank's Working Capital Loan Guarantee Programs (PDF) (April 2011)
Highlighting two federal loan guarantee programs that help lenders and business borrowers finance the export of goods and services.
- School-Based Bank Savings Programs: Bringing Financial Education to Students (PDF) (April 2009)
A discussion of how school-based bank savings programs operate.
- Property Disposition: Exploring Different Approaches for Preserving Affordable Housing Opportunities (PDF) (March 2009)
A review of partnership building strategies among key stakeholders working to create affordable housing opportunities and revitalize areas affected by foreclosed properties.
This e-zine captures the creative ideas of bankers and community development practitioners investing in community development, and identifies common features that can be applied to other investments. It presents investment opportunities in the OCC Districts, and provides links to related resources, including the OCC's public welfare investment authority (12 CFR 24).
- Small Multifamily Rental Property Financing (Spring 2015): This issue describes what the small multifamily rental housing market looks like, some of the challenges the market faces, and the range of ways that banks and federal savings associations are active players in the market.
- Financing Business Development and Expansion in Rural America (November 2013): This issue focuses on initiatives that have allowed banks to expand their financing for small business development in rural areas across America.
- Investing in Wind Energy Using the Public Welfare Investment Authority (Fall 2013): This issue examines how banks can be a source of financing for facilities that generate renewable wind energy.
- Extending Credit in Indian Country (August 2013): This issue highlights some best practices, challenges, and Community Reinvestment Act treatment of investments, service, and credit extension made by national banks and federal savings associations in Indian Country.
- Strategies for Leveraging the State Small Business Credit Initiative (February 2013)
This issue explores how banks can use the SSBCI Program to help meet the needs of small business borrowers.
- Bank Financing of Healthy-Food Initiatives (August 2012) (PDF): This issue explores how banks can help finance the growing effort to transform low-income communities lacking grocery stores into thriving markets.
- Ending Homelessness: Financing Permanent Supportive Housing (February 2012) (PDF): This issue highlights how financial institutions can support community goals to end homelessness by providing financing to developers of permanent supportive housing.
- Investing in Solar Energy Using the Public Welfare Investment Authority (PDF) (July 2011): This issue highlights the innovative investments national banks have made in solar energy-producing facilities using their public welfare investment authority.
- Renewing Economic Growth: Small Business Jobs Act of 2010 (PDF) (June 2011): This issue explores three main features of the Small Business Jobs Act of 2010, describing the programs and provisions and explaining their requirements.
- Charter School Financing Opportunities (PDF) (Spring 2011): This issue provides background information about charter schools; discusses the availability of federal, state, and local resources to support the financing of charter school facilities; and includes case studies of financing structures provided by banks.
- Public Welfare Investments: A Catalyst for Community Development (PDF) (Fall 2010) The articles in this issue highlight community development investing in the common types of public welfare investments; compare the public welfare investment authority provisions with CRA; and explain the public welfare investment submission process, as well as documentation requirements for public welfare investments.
- Road to Recovery: Banks Can Use Recovery Act to Help Pave the Way (PDF) (Spring 2010) describes how banks and their local partners can help promote economic growth through programs authorized in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and subsequent legislation. The newsletter provides a snapshot of various Recovery Act programs designed to encourage lending, investments and community development services activities and outlines how such activities might help a bank's Community Reinvestment Act performance.
- Neighborhood Stabilization: Local Partnerships Are Rebuilding Communities (PDF) (Fall 2009)
- Cultivating Community-based Financial Literacy Initiatives (PDF) (Spring 2009)
Highlights roles that banks can play in promoting financial stability through local partnership efforts. Its articles describe four programs that help banks and their community partners reach out to consumers to encourage better money management through savings and checking products.
- Multibank CDCs: Pooling Resources to Strengthen Communities (PDF) (Fall 2008)
Focuses on the multibank community development corporation and features guidance for establishing one.
- Gulf Coast Redevelopment: Pathways to Recovery (PDF) (Fall 2008)
- Preservation of Affordable Multifamily Housing (PDF) (Spring 2008)
Community Affairs Year in Review
The "Year in Review" highlights the Community Affairs Department's national and regional activities to support the OCC's mission. It features events held nationally and in each of the OCC's four districts to promote banker education and community reinvestment.
Other Community Affairs Publications