Alert 2007-14| March 7, 2007
Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks: Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks of Santa Clara Valley Bank, N.A., Santa Paula, CA
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks; All State Banking Authorities; Chairman, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Director, Office of Thrift Supervision; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsel; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier's checks issued in the bank's name and using a correct routing number of 122242827 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a lottery scam.
Counterfeit items are printed on the bank's retired check stock and may be identified by the following traits: the checks are green in color with a darker border and contain the bank's logo of a valley between two mountains in the top-left portion of the instrument. Directly beneath the logo is the bank's name in all capital letters and the phrase "Your Locally Owned Bank" in a signature font. A PURCHASER line is located in the top-left quadrant, and the words "CASHIER'S CHECK" are located in the top-center section of the check. The instrument is missing security features.
Items presented to date have been made payable in the amount of $3,500, contain the purchaser information of "Santa Clara Valley Bank/CL Bernice Olsen," have been dated February 12, 2007, and contain check numbers ranging from 9937-9970. Due to possible variations of appearance, it is suggested that Santa Clara Valley Bank, N.A. officials be contacted to verify authenticity of the bank's official items if received from an unknown or questionable source.
Correspondence accompanying the checks may contain the letterhead of "ACCESS INTERNATIONAL INC, 1-888-251-2743." The letter alerts the recipient that he or she is the winner of an unclaimed prize and should contact the office immediately. The recipient is advised to keep all information confidential and is encouraged to act by a specific date or the winnings will be forfeited. Recipients are to contact account representative Dorothy Perkins or Martin Allen of Pacific Capital Inc. at 1-800-426-1076. The correspondence may be signed by Mary Jane Russell, Vice President.
For additional information and guidance and to verify the authenticity of Santa Clara Valley Bank, N.A. cashier's checks, please contact Barbara L. Doane, Vice President – BSA, Compliance Officer, 901 East Main Street, Santa Paula, CA 93060, by telephone at (805) 525-1999, by fax at (805) 525-1512, or via email at [Barbara@scvbank.com].
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359-3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
Richard C. Stearns
Director for Enforcement & Compliance