Alert 2013-3| April 29, 2013
Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks: Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks of Broadway National Bank, San Antonio, Texas
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks and Federal Savings Associations; All State Banking Authorities; Chairman, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsels; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier's checks issued in the bank's name and using a correct routing number of 114021933 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with various scams, including but not limited to lottery and mystery shopping.
The counterfeit items resemble the bank's authentic cashier's checks but may be identified by the following: Counterfeit items vary in color and have a black colored serial number. They contain a darkened top border with a security statement that reads "WARNING THIS DOCUMENT HAS SECURITY FEATURES IN THE PAPER" and a security padlock notice along the right border. The counterfeit checks are missing the bank's telephone number of "210.283.6500" as well as the "Preparer" signature line along the left border.
For additional information and guidance and to verify the authenticity of Broadway National Bank's cashier's checks, please contact Renee Ybarra, Loss Prevention Specialist, by mail at P.O. Box 17001, San Antonio, TX 78217; by telephone at (210) 283-6734; or by email at Rybarra@broadwaybank.com.
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359-3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
Ellen M. Warwick
Director for Enforcement and Compliance