Alert 2014-21| April 22, 2014
Counterfeit Cashier's Checks: Counterfeit Cashier's Checks of Cumberland Federal Bank FSB, Cumberland, Wis.
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks and Federal Savings Associations; All State Banking Authorities; Chair, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (Districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsels; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier’s checks using a correct routing number of 291871226 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with various online purchase overpayment scams.
The counterfeit checks do not resemble the bank’s authentic checks. The counterfeit items may be identified by the following traits:
- The checks are blue with a dark blue top border.
- The following security statement appears in the top border: “TO VERIFY AUTHENTICITY, SEE REVERSE SIDE FOR DESCRIPTION OF THE SECURITY FEATURES.”
- The checks are located in the top portion of a perforated sheet measuring 8½ by 11 inches.
Counterfeit checks presented to date have been made payable in varying amounts from $1,980 to $3,970. The checks contain a remitter name of Ronald Cole or Shanell Peterson and are dated July 4, 2014.
Email correspondence related to this scam has been generated from email accounts under the following names:
- Elena Shoemaker, using the email address [email@example.com]. This individual has sent potential victims the following telephone number for text messages: (951) 389-0119.
- Miriam Santiago, using the email address [Miriamsanti101@hotmail.com]. This individual has sent potential victims the following telephone number for text messages: (602) 730-0447. An individual using the name David is also using this telephone number to communicate with potential victims.
- Barbara Nichols, using the email address [BarbaraANichols101@hotmail.com].
For additional information and to verify the authenticity of cashier’s checks drawn on Cumberland Federal Bank FSB, please contact Compliance Officer Aubre Snider at 1390 Second Avenue, P.O. Box 338, Cumberland, WI 54829, by telephone at (715) 822-2249, by fax at (715) 822-2279, or by e‑mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359-3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
Ellen M. Warwick
Director for Enforcement and Compliance