Alert 2015-9| June 29, 2015
Counterfeit Cashier's Checks: Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks of Citizens Savings Bank, Clarks Summit, Penn.
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks and Federal Savings Associations; All State Banking Authorities; Chair, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (Districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsels; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier’s checks using a correct routing number of 231375151 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a mystery shopping scam.
The counterfeit checks resemble the bank’s authentic checks; however, the counterfeit checks may be identified by the following traits:
- The checks contain a thick, dark border, which includes the following security statement: “THIS DOCUMENT HAS A COLORED BACKGROUND AND MICROPRINTING. THE REVERSE SIDE INCLUDES AN ARTIFICIAL WATERMARK.”
- The words “OFFICIAL CHECK” are printed on the check face beneath the top border.
- Check numbers begin with “05003”.
- The number “5 505” appears in the bottom left corner of the check.
Counterfeit checks presented to date have been made payable in the amount of $1,450 and are dated June 15, 2015.
Letters accompanying the checks instruct the potential victim to send a text message to (208) 907-1401 on receipt of the check and to immediately deposit the check into his or her bank account. The potential victim is further instructed to retain $200 as a salary payment, to use $50 to make a purchase at a well-known chain store, and to wire transfer the balance of the funds to a third party. The letters ask for transfer details and evaluation forms to be emailed to [email@example.com].
For additional information and to verify the authenticity of cashier’s checks drawn on Citizens Savings Bank, please contact one of the following individuals:
- Vice President of Deposit Operations JoAnn Jones by mail at PO Box 567, Clarks Summit, PA 18411-0567; by telephone at (570) 587-0626; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Assistant Deposit Operations Manager Connie Davis by mail at PO Box 567, Clarks Summit, PA 18411-0567; by telephone at (570) 587-0605; or by email at email@example.com.
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359-3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
Ellen M. Warwick
Director for Enforcement and Compliance