OCC Bulletin 2015-32| July 17, 2015
EGRPRA: Notice of EGRPRA Outreach Meeting in Kansas City, Mo.
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks and Federal Savings Associations, Federal Branches and Agencies, and Other Interested Parties
On Tuesday, August 4, 2015, in Kansas City, Mo., the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (FRB), and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) (collectively, the agencies) will hold the fourth in a series of outreach meetings as part of the interagency effort to reduce regulatory burden as required by the Economic Growth and Regulatory Paperwork Reduction Act of 1996 (EGRPRA). This outreach meeting provides interested parties an opportunity to comment on regulatory burden reduction directly to the agencies’ staff members and senior management. This outreach meeting in Kansas City will focus specifically on rural banking issues. The agencies will hold additional outreach meetings in 2015.
Note for Community Banks
Community bankers are encouraged to attend an EGRPRA outreach meeting to share their views on how to reduce unnecessary burdens in OCC, FRB, and FDIC regulations. For those unable to attend the Kansas City meeting in person, a live webcast will be available at the EGRPRA Website. Bankers watching online will be able to submit written comments using the text chat feature and verbal comments using the audio feature of the webcast. Because this outreach meeting will focus on rural banking issues, we encourage community banks located in rural areas to participate either in person or online, or to listen through the toll-free telephone line.
- An EGRPRA outreach meeting will be held Tuesday, August 4, 2015, at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, 1 Memorial Dr., Kansas City, MO 64198. The meeting also will be webcast live on the EGRPRA Website.
- To enhance participation in the Kansas City meeting by bankers, consumer and community groups, and other interested parties, anyone across the country will have the opportunity to view and participate in the meeting online. Members of the public watching online will be able to submit written comments using the text chat feature and verbal comments using the audio feature of the webcast. A toll-free telephone number also will be provided for anyone who would like to listen to the meeting and may choose to submit written comments later.
- Comptroller of the Currency Thomas J. Curry, FDIC Vice Chairman Thomas M. Hoenig, and FRB Director of Banking Supervision and Regulation Michael S. Gibson are scheduled to attend.
- Individuals wishing to attend the outreach meeting in Kansas City should register through the EGRPRA Website. Onsite participation is limited, and online registrations will be accepted through July 27, 2015, or until all seats are filled. If seats are available, individuals may register in person at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City on the day of the meeting.
- Further details about this outreach meeting, including the agenda, are available on the EGRPRA Website.
- Additional outreach meetings in 2015 are scheduled for October 19 in Chicago, Ill., and December 2 in Washington, D.C.
Section 2222 of the EGRPRA requires the agencies, along with the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council, to review their regulations at least every 10 years to identify outdated or otherwise unnecessary regulatory requirements imposed on insured depository institutions. As required by the EGRPRA, the agencies have divided their regulations into 12 categories. The agencies published in the Federal Register the first set of categories of regulations for comment on June 4, 2014, the second set of categories of regulations for comment on February 13, 2015, and the third set of categories of regulations for comment on June 5, 2015. Over the next nine months, the agencies will publish jointly one additional notice soliciting public comments on the remaining categories of regulations.
As part of this EGRPRA review, the agencies are holding a series of outreach meetings at which interested parties are invited to comment on any of the 12 categories of regulations. The first outreach meeting was held December 2, 2014, in Los Angeles, Calif., the second was held February 4, 2015, in Dallas, Texas, and the third was held May 4, 2015, in Boston, Mass.
The outreach meetings consist of panel presentations by industry participants and consumer and community groups. Audience members also have an opportunity to offer comments after each panel on the topics discussed by that panel. In addition, at the end of each meeting, audience members may present views on any of the regulations under review. The agencies reserve the right to limit the time of individual commenters, if needed, to accommodate all the people wishing to speak. The agencies request that comments be general in nature (not specific to any insured depository institution). Comments made by audience members will be included in the public comment file.
Audience members who do not wish to comment orally may submit written comments at the meetings. In addition, any interested individual may submit comments through the EGRPRA Website during open comment periods.
Please contact Heidi M. Thomas, Special Counsel, Legislative and Regulatory Activities Division, at (202) 649-5490.
Amy S. Friend
Senior Deputy Comptroller and Chief Counsel