OCC Bulletin 2015-41| November 4, 2015
Credit Card Lending: Revised Comptroller’s Handbook Booklet and Rescissions
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks and Federal Savings Associations, Department and Division Heads, All Examining Personnel, and Other Interested Parties
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) issued today the “Credit Card Lending” booklet of the Comptroller’s Handbook. This revised booklet replaces the “Credit Card Lending” booklet issued in October 1996. The revised booklet also replaces section 218, “Credit Card Lending,” issued in May 2006 as part of the former Office of Thrift Supervision Examination Handbook for the examination of federal savings associations (FSA).
The revised booklet incorporates national bank and FSA statutes and regulations, guidance, and examination procedures. The booklet also provides updated guidance to examiners on assessing and managing the risks associated with credit card lending activities.
This Comptroller's Handbook booklet is intended as a summary restatement of existing laws, regulations, and policies. Examiners and members of the public may use this booklet as reference for obtaining an overview of this subject. Nothing in this booklet should be interpreted as changing existing OCC policy.
Note for Community Banks
The “Credit Card Lending” booklet applies to examinations of all national banks and FSAs engaged in credit card lending activities.
The revised booklet
- rescinds the following advisory letters, which are largely superseded by the 2009 Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act (CARD Act) and its implementing regulations in Regulation Z:
- Advisory Letter 2004-4, “Secured Credit Cards” (April 28, 2004)
- Advisory Letter 2004-10, “Credit Card Practices” (September 14, 2004)
- makes the following applicable to FSAs:
- OCC Bulletin 1997-24, “Credit Scoring Models: Examination Guidance” (May 20, 1997)
- provides updated guidance to examiners on assessing the quantity of risk associated with credit card lending and the quality of credit card lending risk management.
- addresses the CARD Act, which further amended the Truth in Lending Act.
For further information, contact David R. Henry, Credit Risk Division, at (202) 649-5866.
Jennifer C. Kelly
Senior Deputy Comptroller and Chief National Bank Examiner
- "Credit Card Lending” (PDF)