Alert 2007-22| March 30, 2007
Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks: Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks of First National Community Bank, Dunmore, PA
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks; All State Banking Authorities; Chairman, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Director, Office of Thrift Supervision; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsel; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier's checks issued in the bank's name and using a correct routing number of 031303132 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a lottery scam.
While the counterfeit items have a strong resemblance to the authentic items, the counterfeit checks may be identified by the following: the instruments are of unknown color, contain 6-digit serial numbers, and include the following security statement within the top border: "FOR SECURITY PURPOSES, THE FACE OF THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS A COLORED BACKGROUND AND MICROPRINTING IN THE BORDER." The following statement is found in the bottom border: "THE REVERSE SIDE OF THIS DOCUMENT INCLUDES A UNIQUE CHECK IDENTIFY BAR CODE AND AN ARTIFICIAL WATERMARK – HOLD AT AN ANGLE TO VIEW."
Items presented to date have been made payable in the amounts of $2,850.00, $2895.93 and $2950.00 and have contained the following incorrect account numbers: 63-1124346, 74-1124346, 94-1124346 and 108-1124346. Due to possible variations of appearance and information, it is suggested that First National Community Bank officials be contacted to verify the authenticity of the bank's official items, if received from an unknown or questionable source.
Correspondence accompanying the checks may contain the letterhead of "Ideal Games Incorporated, 5012 E. Thomas Rd., Phoenix, AZ 85018." The letter alerts the recipient that he or she is the winner of a prize sponsored by "Publisher's Clearing House, Reader's Digest, and Online Games." Recipients are urged to contact contest managers Emma Wright at 613-255-2709 or Steve Bailey / Rose Daniel at 204-887-5478 prior to a specific deadline. Note that both telephone numbers are of Canadian origin. The letter further states that the enclosed check is to be used to pay "State" surcharges. The correspondence is signed by Perma Wilson, Payments Director.
For additional information and guidance and to verify the authenticity of First National Community Bank's cashier's checks, please contact Sheila Hallinan, Deposit Operations Manager, 102 E. Drinker Street, Dunmore, PA 18512, by telephone at (570) 348-6429, by fax at (570) 348-6414, or via email at [email@example.com].
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359-3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
Richard C. Stearns
Director for Enforcement & Compliance