Community Reinvestment Act (CRA)
The Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 (CRA) encourages certain insured depository institutions to help meet the credit needs of the communities in which they are chartered, including low- and moderate-income (LMI) neighborhoods, consistent with the safe and sound operation of such institutions.
In a nutshell, the CRA requires federal banking agencies to:
- assess the institution’s record of meeting the credit needs of its entire community, including LMI neighborhoods, consistent with the safe and sound operation of such institution, and
- take such record into account in its evaluation of an application for a deposit facility by such institution.
For more information, see:
- Questions and Answers about CRA Exams, Procedures, and OCC's Responsibilities
- Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC)
Search national bank CRA ratings and performance evaluations and get lists of banks examined for CRA compliance.
Note: CRA ratings and performance evaluations published by the former Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS) prior to July 21, 2011 are also available in the CRA Performance Evaluations search application.
CRA Ratings and Performance Evaluations by Month and Year
Handbooks, Procedures, and Guidance
- OCC Comptroller's Handbook, CRA Examination Procedures
- CRA Examination Procedures for Small Institutions (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Intermediate Small Banks (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Large Banks (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Limited Purpose and Wholesale Institutions (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Institutions with Strategic Plans (PDF)
Get a list of banks scheduled for CRA examination in the next quarter.
Get a list of national banks operating under approved CRA strategic plans and a reference to the authorizing regulation.
Get a list of banks designated as wholesale or limited purpose, definitions for these terms, and a reference to the authorizing regulation.
Get help interpreting the meaning and requirements of CRA from the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council.
Learn how to submit or check on a FOIA request to the OCC and search documents.
Get resources for information on national banks, savings and loans, state-chartered banks, bank holding companies, credit unions.
Related News and Issuances
|02/21/2020||NR 2020-21||Federal Banking Agencies Host the 2020 National Interagency Community Reinvestment Conference|
|02/19/2020||NR 2020-19||FDIC and OCC Announce 30-day Extension of Comment Period for Proposed Changes to Community Reinvestment Act Rules|
|02/05/2020||NR 2020-16||OCC Releases CRA Evaluations for 28 National Banks and Federal Savings Associations|