Community Reinvestment Act (CRA)
The Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 (CRA) encourages certain insured depository institutions to help meet the credit needs of the communities in which they are chartered, including low- and moderate-income (LMI) neighborhoods, consistent with the safe and sound operation of such institutions.
The CRA requires federal banking agencies to
- assess the institution's record of meeting the credit needs of its entire community, including LMI neighborhoods, consistent with the safe and sound operation of such institution, and
- take such record into account in its evaluation of an application for a deposit facility by such institution.
2022 Interagency Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
On May 5, 2022, the OCC, the Federal Reserve Board (FRB), and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) jointly released a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPR) to strengthen and modernize the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) regulations to better achieve the purpose of the CRA. The OCC encourages stakeholders to review the proposed rule and provide comments on or before the close of the comment period on August 5, 2022.
- OCC Bulletin 2022-14, Community Reinvestment Act: Interagency Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to Implement the CRA
- Community Reinvestment Act NPR (PDF)
- News Release 2022-47, Agencies Issue Joint Proposal to Update Community Reinvestment Act Regulations
- Interagency CRA Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Summary of Key Objectives of the Interagency CRA Proposal (PDF)
- News Release 2022-48, Acting Comptroller Issues Statement on Interagency Proposal to Modernize the Community Reinvestment Act
- CRA Webinar: Overview of the Interagency CRA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPR) – May 11, 2022
2021 Final CRA Rule (Based on 1995 CRA Rule)
- OCC Bulletin 2021-61, Community Reinvestment Act: Final Rule to Rescind and Replace Community Reinvestment Act Rule Issued in 2020
- OCC Bulletin 2021-5, Community Reinvestment Act: Bank Type Determinations, Distressed and Underserved Areas, and Banking Industry Compensation Provisions of the June 2020 CRA
- Interagency Questions and Answers on Community Reinvestment
- OCC Questions and Answers on CRA for Bank Customers
- OCC Frequently Asked Questions for Banks Regarding COVID-19
- Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) CRA Page
Rescinded June 2020 Rule
The OCC rescinded the June 2020 Rule in December 2021. Guidance issued to implement the 2020 rule remains in effect for activities conducted October 1, 2020, through December 31, 2021.
- Examinations in process and scheduled for 2022 will not be affected by the implementation of the CRA final rule announced in OCC Bulletin 2021-61. CRA evaluations are based on the rules and guidance in effect at the time the activity was conducted.
- CRA 2020 Final Rule
- CRA Illustrative List of Qualifying Activities (PDF)
Handbook, Procedures, and Guidance
- OCC Comptroller's Handbook, CRA Examination Procedures
- CRA Examination Procedures for Small Institutions (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Intermediate Small Banks (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Large Banks (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Limited Purpose and Wholesale Institutions (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Institutions With Strategic Plans (PDF)
- CRA Small Bank Compliance Guide (PDF)
National Banks Evaluated on the Basis of a Strategic Plan Under the CRA
Get a list of national banks operating under approved CRA strategic plans and a reference to the authorizing regulation.
Wholesale and Limited Purpose Banks
Get a list of banks designated as wholesale or limited purpose, definitions for these terms, and a reference to the authorizing regulation.
Get information about best practices and investment opportunities on a broad range of community development topics and access training, workshops and conferences conducted by District Community Affairs Officers.
Related News and Issuances
|06/28/2022||OCC 2022-17||Prohibition Against Interstate Deposits: Annual Host State Loan-to-Deposit Ratios|
|06/01/2022||NR 2022-64||OCC Releases CRA Evaluations for 29 National Banks and Federal Savings Associations|
|05/25/2022||NR 2022-61||OCC Issues Third and Fourth Quarter 2022 CRA Evaluation Schedule|