Alert 2007-29| May 30, 2007
Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks: Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks of Shamrock Bank, N.A., Coalgate, Oklahoma
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks; All State Banking Authorities; Chairman, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Director, Office of Thrift Supervision; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsel; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier's checks issued in the bank's name and using a correct routing number of 103101547 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a lottery scam as well as an insurance settlement scam.
The counterfeit checks are similar to the authentic checks but may be identified by the following: the instruments are brown in color, contain a nonbank telephone number of "(306) 880-1809" under the bank's name and logo in the upper-left portion of the check, and include the words "CHECK NO." preceding the check serial number in the upper-right corner of the item. The words "Authorized Signature" appear below the signature line in the lower-right section of the instrument. The counterfeit items do not contain remitter information.
Items presented to date have been made payable in the amount of $1,998.00, contain a 6-digit serial number beginning with the series 118, and have been dated 5/19/07. Due to possible variations of appearance, it is suggested that officials of Shamrock Bank, N.A. be contacted to verify authenticity of the bank's cashier's checks if received from an unknown or questionable source.
Correspondence accompanying the counterfeit checks may contain the letterhead of "Romega International Lotto, 8756 LeBeau Strasse S.V. Amsterdam, Netherlands." The letter alerts the recipient that he or she is the winner of an unclaimed prize and instructs the recipient to contact the international claim agent at (204) 951-5689 (a Canadian telephone number) prior to a specific date. The letter further states that the enclosed check is to be used to pay for taxes and service charges, which are to be paid prior to the release of the cash prize. The letter may be signed by "Peter Kane, President."
For additional information and guidance and to verify the authenticity of Shamrock Bank, N.A.'s cashier's checks, please contact Kathryn Ivey, Vice President, Legal Department, PO Box 267, Coalgate, OK 74538, by telephone at (580) 927-2311, by fax at (580) 927-3322, or via email at [email@example.com].
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359-3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
Richard C. Stearns
Director for Enforcement & Compliance