Alert 2007-41| June 21, 2007
Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks: Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks of Fort Sill National Bank, Fort Sill, OK
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks; All State Banking Authorities; Chairman, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Director, Office of Thrift Supervision; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsel; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier's checks issued in the bank's name and using a correct routing number of 103112675 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a lottery scam.
The counterfeit checks resemble the authentic items, but may be identified by the following: the letters "FSNB" are located in the top left portion of the check, and the bank name, city, state, and zip code are printed in the top center portion. The following security text "Security features included. Details on back." is located along the bottom center border of the instrument between two padlock icons. An incorrect branch number of 2022 is located in the upper-right section of the check. The counterfeit items are missing the following features on the face of the check: the bank's globe logo, a security statement within the top border, and the dollar amount above the authorized signature lines.
Items presented to date have been made payable in the amount of $3,725.00, contain a 6-digit serial number beginning with the series "705," include a remitter name of Jillian LaFond, are dated 6/6/07, and contain the copied signatures of bank employees Britney Holmes and Susan Young.
Correspondence accompanying the counterfeit items may contain the letterhead of "Diverse Gaming Commission, Sponsors: Readers Digest, Publishers Clearing House and Online Games, 25 Dronnigens Gade, St. Thomas, Virgin Islands 00802." The letter alerts the recipient that he or she is the winner of an unclaimed prize and instructs the recipient to contact claims agent Mrs. Rosanne Cash at 1-705-770-4017 by a specific date or the money will be forfeited. Note that this number originates in Canada. The letter further states that the enclosed check is to be used "...to pay for the applicable taxes on the winnings..." and that the amount is to be paid using either Moneygram or Western Union. The letter may be signed by Clyde Conner, Promotion Manager.
For additional information and guidance, please contact Julie Cavazos, Vice President, Bookkeeping Department, 1647 Randolph Road, P.O. Box 33009, Fort Sill, OK 73503 by telephone at (580) 357-9880 (ext. 3869), by fax at (580) 355-0641, or via email at [Julie.Cavazos@fsnb.com].
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359-3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
Richard C. Stearns
Director for Enforcement & Compliance