Alert 2009-10| June 3, 2009
Counterfeit Expense Checks: Counterfeit Expense Checks of Kleberg First National Bank of Kingsville, Kingsville, Texas
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks; All State Banking Authorities; Chairman, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Director, Office of Thrift Supervision; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsel; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit expense checks issued in the bank's name and using a correct routing number of 114912686 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a sweepstakes scam.
The counterfeit checks strongly resemble the bank's authentic items, but may be identified by the following traits: the instruments are light pink in color and include the following security statement in the top border: "THE FACE OF THIS DOCUMENT HAS A COLORED Background ON WHITE PAPER AND ORIGINAL DOCUMENT SECURITY SCREEN ON BACK WITH PADLOCK SECURITY ICON."
Items presented to date have been made payable in the amount of $4,432 and do not contain the distinct Kleberg Bank watermark in the center of the check.
Due to possible variations between the appearance of the bank's authentic items and the counterfeit items associated with differing scams, officials of Kleberg First National Bank suggest they be contacted to verify authenticity of the bank's expense checks if received by anyone other than a bank vendor.
Correspondence accompanying the counterfeit checks may contain the letterhead of "Publishers Sweepstakes Commission" and may be signed by Richard Collins, Chief Financial Officer. The correspondence informs the recipient that he or she has been selected as a winner of a lottery draw. The letter states that the enclosed check is to be used to pay all applicable duty taxes and must be deposited in the recipient's account only after speaking to the claims agent. Recipients are instructed to contact Claims Agent Michael Bonds at 1-877-892-8285, Extension 1, upon receipt of the correspondence.
For additional information and guidance, and to verify the authenticity of Kleberg First National Bank of Kingsville's checks, please contact Brad Womack, Vice President and Controller, 100 East Kleberg Avenue, Kingsville, Texas 78363, by telephone at (361) 592-8501, by fax at (361) 593-1519, or via email at [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359-3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
Richard C. Stearns
Director for Enforcement & Compliance