Alert 2009-11| June 18, 2009
Counterfeit Cashier's Checks: Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks of The Rawlins National Bank, Rawlins, Wyo.
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks; All State Banking Authorities; Chairman, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Director, Office of Thrift Supervision; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsel; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier's checks issued in the bank's name and using a correct routing number of 102300297 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with an online equipment purchase scam.
The counterfeit checks strongly resemble the bank's authentic items, but may be blue in color and do not contain the branch telephone numbers in the upper left corner of the checks. Items presented to date have been made payable in varying large dollar amounts from $47,000 to $843,125, and remitter names used include: Capital Trust Financial Corp., Auto Trade Company LTD, Equipment Company LTD, and Darlinton Aviation Inc.
Due to possible variations between the appearance of the bank's authentic items and the counterfeit items associated with the scam, officials of The Rawlins National Bank suggest they be contacted to verify authenticity of the bank's cashier's checks if received by an unknown entity.
Correspondence accompanying the counterfeit checks may contain the letterhead of "AMCO INVESTMENT LTD., 1500 Steelers Ave Brampton" or "88 Front St, Toronto, ON M5E 1T4" and may be signed by Mrs. Lucy Watson, Manager, Account Department. The correspondence is a generic letter stating that the enclosed check has been sent to the recipient on behalf of Craig Brown or Sam Williams. The recipient is instructed to contact either Craig Brown or Sam Williams so that records may be updated to answer any questions that may be received from the recipient's financial institution. There is no telephone number provided in the written correspondence.
For additional information and guidance, and to verify the authenticity of The Rawlins National Bank's cashier's checks, please contact Sherri Quintana, AVP Operations Officer, The Rawlins National Bank, P.O. Box 100, 220 5th Street, Rawlins, Wyo. 82301, by telephone at (307) 324-1100, by fax at (307) 328-1527 or via email at [email@example.com].
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359-3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
Richard C. Stearns
Director for Enforcement & Compliance