Alert 2009-17| September 17, 2009
Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks: Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks of Kleberg First National Bank of Kingsville, Kingsville, Texas
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks; All State Banking Authorities; Chairman, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Director, Office of Thrift Supervision; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsel; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier's checks issued in the bank's name and using a correct routing number of 114912686 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a mystery shopping scam.
The counterfeit checks do not resemble the bank's authentic items and may be identified by the following traits: the instruments are pinkish grey in color and contain the name of the bank in a stacked fashion in the center of the item followed by an address of "100 East Kleberg Avenue, Kinston, Texas 78363." The following security statement is located in the top border: "THIS CHECK IS VOID WITHOUT A RED AND GRAY BORDER AND BACKGROUND PLUS A KNIGHT & FINGERPRINT WATERMARK ON THE BACK – HOLD AT ANGLE TO VIEW."
Items presented to date have been made payable in the amount of $1,993, contain a remitter name of "Lionel Gresky," and display a five-digit serial number.
Due to possible variations between the appearance of the bank's authentic items and the counterfeit items associated with the scam, officials of Kleberg First National Bank of Kingsville suggest they be contacted to verify authenticity of the bank's cashier's checks if received by an unknown entity.
Correspondence accompanying the counterfeit checks may contain the letterhead of "Liberty Marketing & Management Corp, Market Research & Management, 600-5th Ave., New York, New York Fax: 1-832-218-4488; Phone: 1-647-863-8544." The correspondence informs the recipient that he or she has been selected to represent the company as a mystery shopper. It is explained that the enclosed cashier's check is to be used during the assignment to make purchases at various merchants and to transfer money using a nationally known wire service. Recipients are instructed to contact Sandra Anderson or Mike Campbell at 1-647-863-8544 for further information prior to cashing the check. The letter may display a signature of Kim Shapiro.
For additional information and guidance, and to verify the authenticity of Kleberg First National Bank of Kingsville's cashier's checks, please contact the Kleberg Bank Phone Center at (361) 592-8501.
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359-3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
Richard C. Stearns
Director for Enforcement & Compliance