Alert 2009-6| April 6, 2009
Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks: Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks of Rockport National Bank, Rockport, MA
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks; All State Banking Authorities; Chairman, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Director, Office of Thrift Supervision; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsel; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier's checks issued in the bank's name and using a correct routing number of 011305260 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a mystery shopping scam.
The counterfeit checks do not resemble the authentic items, and may be identified by the following traits: the instruments are of unknown color and include the following security statement in the top border: "For security purposes, the face of this check contains a colored background and microprinting in the border." The words "Cashier's Check" are located in the top-center portion of the item directly followed by: "Notice to Purchaser – In the event this check is lost, misplaced or stolen, a sworn statement and 90 day waiting period will be required prior to replacement. This check should be negotiated within 90 days." The following security statement is printed between two padlock icons in the bottom-center section: "Security Features Included. Details on Back." Please note that the telephone number of 1-888-681-7950 located in the bottom-left corner of the check is not associated with the bank.
Items presented to date have been made payable in the amount of $4,984, contain a remitter name of Consumer Service Opinion Inc., and contain a 9-digit serial number.
Due to possible variations between the appearance of the bank's authentic items and the counterfeit items associated with differing scams, officials of Rockport National Bank suggest they be contacted to verify authenticity of the bank's cashier's checks if received from an unknown or questionable source.
Correspondence accompanying the counterfeit checks may contain the letterhead of "Consumer Service Opinion, Inc., Suite 10C, 120 Jerdens Street, Rockport, MA 01966, Tel # 1-905-609-8074 or 1-905-781-3712" and may be signed by Pam Davids, Head Assignment Co-ordinator. The correspondence informs the recipient that he or she has been selected to represent the company as a mystery customer. It is explained that the enclosed cashier's check is to be used during the assignment to make purchases at various merchants and to transfer money using a nationally known wire service. Recipients are instructed to contact the assignment coordinator at 1-905-609-8074 Ext 201 or 1-905-781-3712 Ext 201 upon receipt of the correspondence.
For additional information and guidance, and to verify the authenticity of Rockport National Bank's checks, please contact Kathryn Limone, Security Officer, 16 Main Street, Rockport, MA 01966, by telephone at (978) 546-3411, by fax at (978) 546-3263, or via email at [email@example.com].
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359-3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
Richard C. Stearns
Director for Enforcement & Compliance