Alert 2015-17| December 1, 2015
Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks: Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks of Banc of California, N.A., Irvine, Calif.
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks and Federal Savings Associations; All State Banking Authorities; Chair, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (Districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsels; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that two versions of counterfeit cashier’s checks using a correct routing number of 322274527 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with online employment scams.
The counterfeit checks resemble the bank’s authentic checks; the counterfeit checks, however, may be identified by the following traits:
- The checks contain a light blue marbled background.
- The following security statement is located within a dark top border: “TO VERIFY AUTHENTICIY, SEE REVERSE SIDE FOR DESCRIPTION OF THE 13 SECURITY FEATURES.”
- The bank’s address located beneath the bank’s logo in the top-left corner is void of punctuation between the suite number and city.
- A heat-sensitive security feature is located in the bottom-center portion of the checks.
- The checks contain a light blue background.
- The following security statement is located within a darker blue top border: “WARNING: THIS DOCUMENT HAS SECURITY FEATURES IN THE PAPER.”
- A security padlock icon and statement appear in the right border of the checks.
Counterfeit checks presented to date have been made payable in amounts between $1,480 and $8,800, and contain remitter names of Donald Adams, Paul Burrigt, Jessica Fonseca, James Foster, Chris Harding, Jerry Lambert, Jeanette Maldonado, Henry Malls, and Mark Williams.
For additional information and to verify the authenticity of checks drawn on Banc of California, N.A., please contact Operational Risk Management and Fraud Risk Officer Lucy Aguilar by mail at 18500 Von Karman Avenue, Suite 1100, Irvine, CA 92612, by telephone at (714) 864-5168, or by email at email@example.com.
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359-3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
Ellen M. Warwick
Director for Enforcement and Compliance