Alert 2015-19| December 23, 2015
Counterfeit Cashier's Checks: Counterfeit Cashier's Checks of Carrollton Federal Bank, Carrollton, Ky.
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks and Federal Savings Associations; All State Banking Authorities; Chair, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (Districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsels; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that three variations of counterfeit cashier’s checks using a correct routing number of 061103056 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with various online scams.
The counterfeit checks may or may not resemble the bank’s authentic checks; the counterfeit checks, however, may be identified by the following traits:
- The checks contain a light-blue marbled background.
- The following security statement is located within a dark-blue top border: “FOR SECURITY PURPOSES, THE FACE OF THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS A COLORED BACKGROUND AND MICROPRINTING IN THE BORDER.”
- The abbreviated routing number appearing beneath the check number is typed as 64-305/611 on one line.
- The following security statement appears along the bottom of the check between two security padlock icons: “SECURITY FEATURES INCLUDED. DETAILS ON BACK.”
- The checks are of unknown color.
- The following security statement is located within a dark top border: “FOR SECURITY PURPOSES, THE FACE OF THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS A COLORED BACKGROUND AND MICROPRINTING IN THE BORDER.”
- The “For” line contains the following note: “EAGLE SHIPPING LLC.”
- The checks are of unknown color and contain an ornate border.
- The bank’s logo is not included on the face of the check.
- The checks are handwritten.
- The “For” line may contain the following note: “For Services Rendered”
Counterfeit checks presented to date have been made payable in varying amounts, contain the authorized signatures of Barbara Boswell and Joey Ginn, and have been delivered to potential victims by some form of express delivery.
For additional information and to verify the authenticity of checks drawn on Carrollton Federal Bank, please contact Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Lisa Flannery by mail at P.O. Box 389, Carrollton, KY 41008, by telephone at (502) 732-4272, ext. 112, by fax at (502) 732-4274, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359-3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
Ellen M. Warwick
Director for Enforcement and Compliance