Alert 2016-11| November 29, 2016
Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks: Counterfeit Official Checks of Century National Bank, a Division of Park National Bank, Zanesville, Ohio
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks and Federal Savings Associations; All State Banking Authorities; Chair, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (Districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsels; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that at least two variations of counterfeit official checks using a correct routing number of 044101305 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a secret shopper scam.
The counterfeit checks do not resemble the bank’s authentic checks. Counterfeit items may be identified by the following traits:
Variation No. 1
- The checks are light blue in color and contain a darker blue border.
- A padlock security icon and security statement appear along the right border.
- The words “Official Check” are printed in black ink in the top center portion of the check
- The following security statement appears in the top border: “WARNING: THIS DOCUMENT HAS SECURITY FEATURES IN THE PAPER.”
Variation No. 2
- The checks are blue in color with a marbled background and a dark blue top border.
- The following security statement appears in the top border: “THIS DOCUMENT HAS A COLORED BACKGROUND AND MICROPRINTING. THE REVERSE SIDE INCLUDES AN ARTIFICIAL WATERMARK.”
Counterfeit checks presented to date have been made payable in varying amounts and have contained remitter names of Crystal Bearce, Gary Cook, James Edwood, Mark Richards, Daniel Scott, and Eileen Zimmer.
Correspondence accompanying the counterfeit checks may contain a contact name of Richard Rotarious with email addresses of [Rbmt009@gmail.com] or [firstname.lastname@example.org] as well as Christopher Decker with contact information of [email@example.com] and text-only telephone numbers of (214) 935-8253 or (682) 233-0485.
For additional information and to verify the authenticity of official checks drawn on Century National Bank, a Division of Park National Bank, please contact Brittany Schuhart, Loss Prevention Manager, by mail at Loss Prevention Department, 50 N. Third St., PO Box 3500, Newark, OH 43058; by telephone at (888) 349-3925; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359-3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
Ellen M. Warwick
Director for Enforcement and Compliance