Alert 2022-3| February 7, 2022
Counterfeit Official Checks: Counterfeit Official Checks of BankUnited, N.A., Miami Lakes, Fla.
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks and Federal Savings Associations; All State Banking Authorities; Chair, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chair, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (Districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsels; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that a variety of counterfeit official checks using the bank’s routing number of 267090594 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with various online job opportunity scams.
The counterfeit checks do not resemble the bank’s authentic item, and may be identified by the following:
- The checks have a straight dark top border with the following security statement: “TO VERIFY AUTHENTICITY, SEE REVERSE SIDE FOR DESCRIPTION OF THE 13 SECURITY FEATURES.”
- The words “OFFICIAL CHECK” and “CASHIER’S CHECK” appear in a stacked formation centered in the top portion of the check.
- The date is located to the right of the words “CASHIER’S CHECK.”
- The payment field has asterisks before the typed dollar amount.
- All checks are missing the “BR” and “Originator” codes as well as the fractional ABA number.
- The checks resemble those described under Variation #1; however, the date, remitter, payee, and payment amounts may be handwritten.
Checks presented to date have been made payable in amounts between $225 and $30,000 and have a variety of remitter names.
For additional information and to verify the authenticity of checks drawn on BankUnited, N.A., please contact the bank’s Fraud Investigations Manager at (305) 698-4364, by fax at (305) 818-1417, or by mail at 7825 NW 148th Street, Miami Lakes, FL 33016.
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- OCC: by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; by fax to (571) 293-4925; or by calling the Special Supervision Division at (202) 649-6450.
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359‑3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC’s website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by email. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): visit the website to find BBBs in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated on the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Monica A. Freas
Director of Enforcement