Community Reinvestment Act (CRA)
The Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 (CRA) provides a framework for financial institutions, state and local governments, and community organizations to jointly promote banking services to all members of a community. In a nutshell, the CRA
- Prohibits redlining (denying or increasing the cost of banking to residents of racially defined neighborhoods), and
- Encourages efforts to meet the credit needs of all community members, including residents of low- and moderate-income neighborhoods.
For more information, see:
- Questions and Answers about CRA Exams, Procedures, and OCC's Responsibilities
- Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC)
CRA Database Search: Ratings and Performance Evaluations
Search national bank CRA ratings and performance evaluations and get lists of banks examined for CRA compliance.
Note: CRA ratings and performance evaluations published by the former Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS) prior to July 21, 2011 are also available in the CRA Performance Evaluations search application.
CRA Ratings and Performance Evaluations by Month and Year
Handbooks, Procedures and Guidance
- OCC Comptroller's Handbook, 1999
- CRA Examination Procedures for Small Institutions
- CRA Examination Procedures for Intermediate Small Banks
- CRA Examination Procedures for Large Banks
- CRA Examination Procedures for Limited Purpose and Wholesale Institutions
- CRA Examination Procedures for Institutions with Strategic Plans
- Supervisory Policy and Processes for Community Reinvestment Act Performance Evaluations
Get a list of banks scheduled for CRA examination in the next quarter.
Banks Operating Under Strategic Plans
Get a list of national banks operating under approved CRA strategic plans and a reference to the authorizing regulation.
Wholesale and Limited Purpose Banks
Get a list of banks designated as wholesale or limited purpose, definitions for these terms, and a reference to the authorizing regulation.
Interagency Questions and Answers
Get help interpreting the meaning and requirements of CRA from the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council.
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
Learn how to submit or check on a FOIA request to the OCC and search documents.
How to Obtain Public Information about Banks
Get resources for information on national banks, savings and loans, state-charted banks, bank holding companies, credit unions, and savings and loans.
|06/17/2019||NR 2019-66,||Agencies Release List of Distressed or Underserved Nonmetropolitan Middle-Income Geographies|
|06/05/2019||NR 2019-63,||OCC Releases CRA Evaluations for 33 National Banks and Federal Savings Associations|
|05/30/2019||NR 2019-58,||OCC Issues Third and Fourth Quarter 2019 CRA Evaluation Schedule|