OCC Bulletin 2021-52| October 28, 2021
Retail Lending: Revised Comptroller’s Handbook Booklet and Rescissions
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks, Federal Savings Associations, and Federal Branches and Agencies; Department and Division Heads; All Examining Personnel; and Other Interested Parties
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) today issued version 2.0 of the “Retail Lending” booklet of the Comptroller’s Handbook. This booklet discusses risks associated with retail lending and provides a framework for examiners’ evaluations of risk management activities.
With the issuance of this revised booklet, the following documents are rescinded:
- OCC Bulletin 2017-15, “Retail Lending: New Comptroller's Handbook Booklet”
- “Retail Lending” booklet of the Comptroller’s Handbook, version 1.1
Note for Community Banks
The “Retail Lending” booklet applies to the OCC’s supervision of community banks1 engaged in retail lending.
The revised booklet
- reflects changes to laws and regulations since this booklet was last updated.
- reflects OCC issuances published and rescinded since this booklet was last updated.
- includes clarifying edits regarding supervisory guidance, sound risk management practices, and legal language.
- revises certain content for general clarity.
Please contact Steven Jones, Director for Retail Credit Risk, at (202) 649-6770.
Grovetta N. Gardineer
Senior Deputy Comptroller for Bank Supervision Policy